Career Trends Data
- It is predicted that in BC by 2016 the trades sector will face an overall labour shortage.
- Throughout 2010-2020 the growth in demand for workers is expected to outpace growth in supply of workers. This will lead to an estimated shortage of workers by 2020.
- Close to two-thirds of job openings will be due to replacement demand as a results of retiring workers and deaths. In BC, approximately 66% of total job openings will be due to the demand to replace retiring workers.
- The three occupation groups with the most expected job openings from expansion and replacement in BC are:
- Sales and Service Occupations
- Business, Finance and Administration Occupations
- Trades, Transportation and Equipment Operators and Related Occupations
- The three occupation groups expected to experience the strongest growth in demand in the province are:
- Health Occupations
- Natural and Applied Sciences and Related Occupations
- Occupations in Art, Culture, Recreation and Sport
Source: WorkBC. British Columbia Labour Market Outlook: 2010-2020 (2013).